[Users] vm runs on host 1 and clone from snapshot runs on host 2?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 08:30:23 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Maor Lipchuk wrote:
> Hi Gianluca,
> You can set the VM to run on a specific host, when editing the VM and
> choose the Host tab and Run On a specific host
>
> Generally, you can configure your cluster to use three different types
> of selections: None, Even Distributed and Power Saving.
> This can be set at the Cluster Policy tab, when you edit the cluster.
> By default the cluster is using None policy, which actually runs the
> even distributed algorithm when you run a VM.

Yes, I know very well this.
My observation was about another thing:

the disk clone operation itself, that is one step of the "clone from
snapshot" activity; the process

/usr/bin/qemu-img convert -t none -f qcow2  ....

that starting from disk of VM1 creates the disk of VM2 (its clone)

I presumed that if host1 had in charge VM1, it would have been host1
in charge of making the disk clone.
Instead I observed that the disk clone operation was in charge of host2...

Hope it is more clear now....

It has nothing to do with which host then will run the clone