[Users] Templates and originating VM relationship

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 14:11:18 UTC 2013

Hello,
oVirt 3.2.1 on Fedora 18.
I customize a CentOS 6.4 VM and when I comfortable I select "make template".
I don't take any snapshot for the VM before this.

I thought that VM would have been disappeared, transforming itself
into a template, instead at the end I have both the template and the
originating VM.
Apparently with the same name for the disk and the same storage domain....

What is exactly the relationship between them?
Can I safely remove the originating VM?

I already tested making template and then deleting it and then being
able to power on again VM and make a new template from the originating
VM.

The rhevm 3.1 admin manual is not so clear about this: it contains a
note regarding
"
Take a snapshot of the virtual machine at this stage if you wish to
use the virtual machine
(as a virtual machine) after using it to create a template.
"

But if behavior of oVirt 3.2.1 has to be the same with it, this
doesn't explain itself based on my experience....

Thanks in advance for any information

Gianluca