[Users] Templates and originating VM relationship

René Koch (ovido) r.koch at ovido.at
Tue Mar 26 14:41:44 UTC 2013

Hi Gianluca,

@oVirt-team: please correct me if I misunderstood something on the
template-concept...

Unlike Vmware (which converts a vm into a template) RHEV/oVirt is
copying the vm into a template.

So you can remove or edit your original vm without having an impact on
your template.

More important is the template provisioning method when creating vms
from your template. If you choose Thin, only changes between your
template and your vm are written to your vms disk file, where clone
creates a clone of your template's disk. Template thin provisioning
saves disk space, but you can't delete the template as long as you don't
delete all vms linked to this template.

The name of your disk is just a name (and it seems that it doesn't have
to be unique) - important is the ID, which is used by oVirt internally.

Regards,
René