[Users] Fault tolerant storage

Jakub Bittner j.bittner at nbu.cz
Thu May 2 10:49:33 UTC 2013

Dne 2.5.2013 11:45, Gianluca Cecchi napsal(a):
> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Jakub Bittner wrote:
>
>> To be clear, I know, I can manage fault tolerance by hardware, but it is
>> more expensive

> If I understood correctly the initial thread message, Jakub's main
> concern is that if he creates a datacenter, then all storage domains
> have to be of the type initially chosen
>
> Taking from rhev 3.1 docs:
> "
> The type of data domain dictates the type of the
> data center and cannot be changed after creation
> without significant disruption. All storage in a data
> center must be of one type only. For example, if
> iSCSI is selected as the type, only iSCSI data
> domains can be attached to the data center.
> "
>
> So if he would like to put iSCSI and SAN LUNS on the same DC, he can't
> at the moment.
>
> If I remember correctly in another past thread it was said (Itamar
> perhaps?) that there wasn't a particular restriction or design
> constraint about this limitation, but probably only historical
> reason.... is this true?
>
> So it could be cool to put on the roadmap the chance to mix several SD
> types in the same DC.
>
> BTW: Jakub which is the kind of replication / network raid 1 you are
> using or planning, perhaps drbd or similar?
>
> Gianluca

To be honest, I did not know, that datacenter has to have only one type
of storage domain. If so, you are right that it would be cool to mix
several types. (NFS with ISCSI and so)

But my first idea was to connect datacenter with two iSCSI storage
domains and have something like raid 1 over them for fail tolerance
storage ;-)