[Users] [ANN] Technology preview of new ovirt-engine setup

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Sun May 12 14:24:31 UTC 2013

Hello,

We[1] are working on a re-implementation of ovirt-engine setup to a more advanced and customizable implementation.

A significant feature is the ability to use the installer on different distributions, first was Gentoo[2], I am working on Ubuntu.

Another[3] major features is the ability to use the same setup procedure for production and development.

Among of other changes is the option to install product into existing database without having the DBA user, avoid redirection of root URI into application, ability to customize almost anything, and the option of localization.

Although this is technology preview and likely to break, we merged this so people may experience the new setup at early stage and provide feedback so we may solve as many issues as we can before product release.

So come on, you brave people... let's see you break our setup!

This should be available at tomorrow's nightly packages.

STATUS

Side-by-side installation

New installer and legacy installers are available side-by-side.

Legacy installer: engine-setup, engine-upgrade, engine-cleanup.
New installer: engine-seutp-2, engine-cleanup-2.

This means that once ovirt-engine is installed, there is an option to use the legacy setup or the new setup.

Compatibility

Onces setup is done by either, it cannot be updated by the other.
We will work toward having a solution of upgrade legacy to the new, but not the other way around.

Coverage

setup should be feature complete.
cleanup currently only clean files that were created by the setup, not these which were modified.
upgrade is implemented using re-execution of setup, currently only database upgrade is performed, no package upgrade.

Thank you,
Sandro Bonazzola,
Alex Lourie,
Alon Bar-Lev

[1] Sandro Bonazzola, Alex Lourie, Alon Bar-Lev
[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OVirt
[3] http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/engine-devel/2013-May/004532.html