[Users] How to add internal networks

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Mon May 13 13:10:53 UTC 2013

Correction:
The two networks should be VM networks.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Assaf Muller" <amuller at redhat.com>
To: "Frank Wall" <fw at moov.de>
Cc: users at ovirt.org
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 4:05:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Users] How to add internal networks

Hi Frank,

Without the ability to control the networking devices in your vicinity and setup VLANs, what you're trying to do isn't supported via oVirt.

However, assuming you do have root access to your host, I can suggest a workaround:
* Create two dummy interfaces on the host, and give them static IP addresses. For example: 192.168.1.254/24, and 192.168.2.254/24.
* Create two networks (Non-VM) called One and Two and attach them to the dummy NICs.
* Create VMs with virtual NICs in network One, and VMs with virtual NICs in network Two.
  You can give them static IP addresses and supply the host's dummy interfaces as gateways, or enable a DHCP server on the host.
* Enable routing on the host, and setup the appropriate rules so that he acts as a default gateway for all of the VMs, and that he forwards traffic appropriately between the VM networks.