[Users] How to add internal networks

Frank Wall fw at moov.de
Thu May 16 12:48:32 UTC 2013

Hi Asaf,

Am 13.05.2013 15:05, schrieb Assaf Muller:
> Without the ability to control the networking devices in your
> vicinity and setup VLANs, what you're trying to do isn't supported via
> oVirt.

I was already guessing that it is not supported. Thanks for the
"official" confirmation.

> * Create two dummy interfaces on the host, and give them static IP
> addresses. For example: 192.168.1.254/24, and 192.168.2.254/24.

OK, I've populated the required files...

/etc/modules-load.d/dummy.conf
/etc/modprobe.d/dummy.conf
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-dummy0

...and after a reboot I have a new dummy NIC configured:

dummy0: flags=195<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 1500
         inet 192.168.0.254  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast
192.168.0.255
         ether 5e:61:0f:e7:f9:bc  txqueuelen 0  (Ethernet)
         RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
         RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
         TX packets 3  bytes 210 (210.0 B)
         TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

> * Create two networks (VM) called One and Two and attach them to
> the dummy NICs.

Unfortunately, this does not work as described. I was able to create
the new VM network from the Admin Portal successfully, but I am unable
to attach this network to the dummy NIC.

When I choose the "Setup Host Networks" option from the Admin Portal:
My Datacenter => My Cluster => Hosts => My Host => TAB: Network
Interfaces -> Setup Host Networks
The dummy NIC is NOT listed, but only the physical NIC (with ovirtmgmt
attached to it).

Is this expected? Does oVirt suppress any non-physical NICs?
Is there another way to attach the VM network to my dummy NIC?

Thanks
- Frank