[Users] Vlan interface on top of bonding

Lior Vernia lvernia at redhat.com
Thu May 16 08:00:30 UTC 2013

Hello again Juan Pablo,

We're aware that the networking (among other things) in oVirt isn't
perfect, we're working on it :) As I had mentioned, the 3.2 release did
improve the network functionality, as well as make it much
user-friendlier, so an upgrade is recommended if possible. Also, in the
up-and-coming 3.3 there's an OpenStack Quantum integration feature that
should enable oVirt users to take advantage of the rich network
topologies offered by Quantum.

As for your current situation, by far your safest choice would be to
configure the VLANs in your switches. However, depending on your VDSM
version, you might be able to enable non-VM networks in your cluster
simply by changing a configuration value in your engine database
(although this would be an unsupported hack and I can't guarantee that
it won't mess anything up).

If interested, I can give you more details on what to change exactly,
but I'm not sure that it will actually solve your problem - you still
won't be able to have two non-VLAN networks on the same NIC, at most
you'll be able to have one non-VM, non-VLAN network residing with VLAN
networks. And I'm not sure even that will work in 3.1.

Yours, Lior.