[Users] Guest Agent

René Koch (ovido) r.koch at ovido.at
Thu May 23 09:17:47 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 08:28 +0200, Vinzenz Feenstra wrote:
> On 05/20/2013 03:12 PM, suporte at logicworks.pt wrote:
>
> > Ok, thanks. from where can I start?
> >

> On Fedora 17+ you can install the guest agent by 'yum install
> ovirt-guest-agent-common'
>
> On other OS you can start by checking out the git repository on the OS
> you'd like to build it on.
>
> `git clone http://gerrit.ovirt.org/p/ovirt-guest-agent.git`
>
> On Windows you should follow these instructions:
> http://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-guest-agent.git;a=blob;f=ovirt-guest-agent/README-windows.txt;h=HEAD
>
> On Linux you go into the repository
> $ ./autogen.sh
> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --without-sso
> And then as root
> # make install
>
> However not all files might yet be put into the right places on all
> systems, and for Debian/Ubuntu systems we don't have any daemon or
> upstart scripts, so far we only support systemd in the repository so
> that would have to be done manually.

Are there plans to provide packages for Windows or various Linux
distributions in oVirt repositories as long as they aren't available in
official distro repos?

Another little bit off-topic question: what are the criteria for an
operating system to be listed as an operating system when creating new
servers/desktops? At the moment the same os'es are listed as in RHEV.
In my opinion either all distributions which are fully tested (working
IDE/VirtIO disks, e1000/rtl/VirtIO nics, maybe guest agent available...)
should be listed here - in a similar way as you can find it in
virt-manager...

For me it's clear that I can run e.g. Debian vms on oVirt and I have to
choose Other Linux for debian. But having e.g. Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE
in the list of operating systems and their icons in user and self
provisioning portal would look much nicer.

Last, it would be great to have a matrix of operating systems in oVirt
wiki to provide an overview which operating systems are working and
where you can find guest agent packages - as available for e.g. VMware
and KVM. I think there are a lot of users tried out different operating
systems and are willing to update the support matrix...
I think this would help a lot to find the right settings for operating
systems. e.g. for Fedora 18 I can/should choose VirtIO disks and nics,
but for Solaris 10/11 only IDE disks are working and network isn't
working (none of the 3 types).

What do you think?