[Users] Guest Agent

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu May 23 12:39:53 UTC 2013

On 05/23/2013 12:17 PM, René Koch (ovido) wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 08:28 +0200, Vinzenz Feenstra wrote:
>> On 05/20/2013 03:12 PM, suporte at logicworks.pt wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, thanks. from where can I start?
>>>

>> On Fedora 17+ you can install the guest agent by 'yum install
>> ovirt-guest-agent-common'
>>
>> On other OS you can start by checking out the git repository on the OS
>> you'd like to build it on.
>>
>> `git clone http://gerrit.ovirt.org/p/ovirt-guest-agent.git`
>>
>> On Windows you should follow these instructions:
>> http://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-guest-agent.git;a=blob;f=ovirt-guest-agent/README-windows.txt;h=HEAD
>>
>> On Linux you go into the repository
>> $ ./autogen.sh
>> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --without-sso
>> And then as root
>> # make install
>>
>> However not all files might yet be put into the right places on all
>> systems, and for Debian/Ubuntu systems we don't have any daemon or
>> upstart scripts, so far we only support systemd in the repository so
>> that would have to be done manually.
>

> Are there plans to provide packages for Windows or various Linux
> distributions in oVirt repositories as long as they aren't available in
> official distro repos?

well, they are supposed to be packaged and be part of the various
distros, but someone needs to try and push them for those distros.
in the meantime, i think for OSs which we can, we should have a built
guest agent.

> Another little bit off-topic question: what are the criteria for an
> operating system to be listed as an operating system when creating new
> servers/desktops? At the moment the same os'es are listed as in RHEV.
> In my opinion either all distributions which are fully tested (working
> IDE/VirtIO disks, e1000/rtl/VirtIO nics, maybe guest agent available...)
> should be listed here - in a similar way as you can find it in
> virt-manager...

today there are code deps for various options/configs per OS.
roy golan is working on making these file based configs, which will
allow to add more OSs without code changes.

> For me it's clear that I can run e.g. Debian vms on oVirt and I have to
> choose Other Linux for debian. But having e.g. Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE
> in the list of operating systems and their icons in user and self
> provisioning portal would look much nicer.

agree, unless someone will send comprehensive patches for that, i expect
roy's work to allow easy patches for other OSs.

> Last, it would be great to have a matrix of operating systems in oVirt
> wiki to provide an overview which operating systems are working and
> where you can find guest agent packages - as available for e.g. VMware
> and KVM. I think there are a lot of users tried out different operating
> systems and are willing to update the support matrix...
> I think this would help a lot to find the right settings for operating
> systems. e.g. for Fedora 18 I can/should choose VirtIO disks and nics,
> but for Solaris 10/11 only IDE disks are working and network isn't
> working (none of the 3 types).
>
> What do you think?

feel free to open the wiki and start populating it :)