[Users] *SAN LUNs* thin-provisioning : Reclaiming block device storage

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Tue Nov 5 07:49:30 UTC 2013

[This post is *not* about *VM* thin-provisioning]

Hi,

Our setup is made of an Equalogic SAN (PS6100) connected via a dedicated
iSCSI network, an oVirt 3.3.0-4.el6 manager and CentOS nodes.
This is working fine (thank you all).

I usually create a LUN for the master storage domain, configure in
thin-provisioned mode on the SAN side, and fill it with VMs until it
reaches some 90%.
Then I create another LUN the same way, add it as an additional storage
domain, move some VM on it from the first domain and it's OK.

The issue there is I have no mean to reclaim any freed storage on the
master storage LUN. So the question (not *master* domain specific - any
storage domain is concerned) is how to reclaim space on these domains.

I began to have a closer look at how a storage domain is setup (PV, VG,
LVs). I also found some hints about some mount option (unmap) that could
be passed when mounting ext4 filesystems.
But I guess the issue is way more complex, as LVM may add a layer
between ext4 and the block device.
How is the LVM setup working? I saw there was one LV by disk (and some
metadata LVs), in one big VG in one big PV. Is the entire disk space
allocated for the PV, or is only a partial of it is used first, then an
extension (growing) is made each time some more space is needed by
adding VMs?

I have the opportunity to test and play with a test LUN in a test oVirt,
so I fear no crash. If the only answer is "Unavailable feature", it's
ok, but I just have to know.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot