[Users] Low quality of el6 vdsm rpms

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Tue Nov 12 14:33:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:31:04AM +0100, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
> Il 12/11/2013 10:34, Patrick Hurrelmann ha scritto:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > sorry for this rant, but...

Thanks for ranting. Community testing and ranting are to be cherished.
We must improve in the points you have raised.

> > I now tried several times to test the beta 3.3.1 rpms, but they can't
> > even be installed in the most times.
>
> I'm glad to read you're testing 3.3.1. May I ask you to add yourself to
> http://www.ovirt.org/Testing/Ovirt_3.3.1_testing ?
>
> > One time it required a future
> > selinux-policy, although the needed selinux fix was delivered in a much
> > lower version. Now the rpms have broken requirements. It requires
> > "hostname" instead of "/bin/hostname". This broken requirement is not
> > included in the vdsm 3.3 branch, so I wonder where it comes from?
> > Anyway. So I proceeded and tried to build vdsm myself once again.
> > Currently the build fails with (but worked fine some days ago):
> >
> > /usr/bin/pep8 --exclude="config.py,constants.py" --filename '*.py,*.py.in' \
> > 		client lib/cpopen/*.py lib/vdsm/*.py lib/vdsm/*.py.in tests
> > vds_bootstrap vdsm-tool vdsm/*.py vdsm/*.py.in vdsm/netconf
> > vdsm/sos/vdsm.py.in vdsm/storage vdsm/vdsm vdsm_api vdsm_hooks vdsm_reg
> > vdsm/storage/imageRepository/formatConverter.py:280:29: E128
> > continuation line under-indented for visual indent
> >

> > - How can the quality of the vdsm builds be increased? It is frustrating
> > to spend time on testing and then the hosts cannot even be installed to
> > broken vdsm rpms.

I suspect you are not interested in "excuses" for each of the failures,
let us look forwards. My conclusions are:
- Do not require non-yet-existing rpms. If we require a feature that is
  not yet in Fedora/Centos, we must wait. This is already in effect, see
  for example http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/20248/ and
  http://gerrit.ovirt.org/19545

- There's a Jenkins job to enforce the former requirement of spec
  requirement. David, Sandro, any idea why it is not running these days?

- Keep the docs updated. Our Jenkins slaves have pep8-1.4.6, so we
  should update
  http://www.ovirt.org/Vdsm_Developers#Installing_required_packages
  accordingly - and more importantly, make that version available.

  Sandro, who built the python-pep8-1.4.6 that sits on the el6 Jenkins
  slave? Could you make it publicly available? (I can volunteer
  http://danken.fedorapeople.org again)

> > - How are the builds prepared? Is there a Jenkins job that prepares
> > "stable" rpms in addition to the nightly job? Or is this totally
> > handcrafted?
> > - How can it be that the rpm spec differs between the 3.3 branch and
> > released rpms? What is the source/branch for el6 vdsm rpms? Maybe I'm
> > just tracking on the wrong source tree...

Based on your reports, you are tracking the correct tree; but please
describe which differences do you see (and between what releases
exactly).

Regards,
Dan.