[Users] oVirt 3.4 planning

René Koch (ovido) r.koch at ovido.at
Wed Nov 13 17:17:09 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-11-13 at 21:05 +0530, Sahina Bose wrote:
> On 11/13/2013 08:53 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:

> >> At a high level,
> >>
> >> Monitoring of volume
> >> Storage metrics - capacity, network, CPU, disk utilization
> >> Detecting split-brain/self-heal activity
> >
> > would help specyfing which REST API calls are involved.
>
> Hmm.. would monitoring work on top of engine via REST API calls? I was
> thinking more in line of monitoring the nodes directly - maybe a push
> mechanism from nodes.

The advantage of monitoring via REST-API is that you don't need an
agent/script installed on the host/node. Especially for oVirt node I
think this is a huge advantage (haven't looked into 3rd party plugin
support yet).

The downside of it is that if REST-API isn't available (e.g. due to
engine maintenance jobs) you can't monitor your environment...

Especially for Nagios both options are valid - gathering data from
REST-API or directly from the host. Other monitoring solutions may
require an agent (or maybe snmp) on the host if data aren't available
via REST-API...