[Users] Problems with first time oVirt installation

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 20:51:42 UTC 2013

Hi all - trying to evaluate ovirt and having real problems with getting a self
contained install running.

I've followed the Quickstart guide at:

  http://www.ovirt.org/Download

word for word using a fresh CentOS 6.4 install with all updates applied on a
Intel based PC with 8GB Ram and two nics.

It seems to all go well but when I get into the web interface, none of the
storage is initially visible, neither the ISO_DOMAIN nor the local storage.
Oddly if I refresh the browser (firefox & chrome) while on the storage page
the ISO_DOMAIN appears but can't be attached to a datacenter - "None
Available"

If I go into the host page the host is there but not finished configuring. The
network setup is unfinished, the management interface is not attached to a
NIC. If I attach it to the active nic (NIC 0) it throws an exception on Save.
I can attach it to nic 1 but its not actually hooked up to anything.

I have successfully installed and run proxmox on this pc, so  don;t think
there are hardware problems.

On a related note - I've also been trying to test ovirt at home, which means
running it on KVM (setup with virt-manager). CentOS installs fine but on
reboot just goes to a black screen with the hour glass. If anyone has
suggestions on how to get past that it would help my test config a lot :) Host
machine is Kubuntu 13.10.

Thanks,

--
Lindsay