[Users] from irc

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 17:36:11 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Einav Cohen  wrote:

> When the user runs the VM (again - by allocating himself a VM from the
> pool via the user portal), the VM actually runs in a stateless mode:
> right before the VM is run, a snapshot is taken from it; once the VM is
> being shutdown/returned to the pool, the VM reverts itself to that
> snapshot, clearing all changes done in this run (but not changes that
> the admin did in the initial run! those are "sealed" within the VM),
> leaving the VM and ready for the next allocation.

Actually AFAIK in rhev 3.2 (and in oVirt 3.2) pools can be automatic or manual
(https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.2/html/Administration_Guide/sect-Virtual_Machine_Pool_Tasks.html)
"
In the Pool tab, select one of the following pool types:
Manual - The administrator is responsible for explicitly returning the
virtual machine to the pool. The virtual machine reverts to the
original base image after the administrator returns it to the pool.
Automatic - When the virtual machine is shut down, it automatically
reverts to its base image and is returned to the virtual machine pool.
"

IN RHEV 2.x there was also a third option that was time based and that
in my opinion was interesting. Donna why it was removed.

In my opinion there is sort of mislead between what is above and the
introduction of pools inside the guide because it is stated this way:
(https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.2/html/Administration_Guide/chap-Pools.html)
"
Virtual machines in pools are stateless, data is not persistent across
reboots. Virtual machines in a pool are started when there is a user
request, and shut down when the user is finished.
..."

So if one doesn't go ahead he/she thinks only stateless are allowed.....

Gianluca