[Users] from irc

Bob Doolittle bob at doolittle.us.com
Fri Nov 15 18:15:54 UTC 2013

On 11/15/2013 12:36 PM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Actually AFAIK in rhev 3.2 (and in oVirt 3.2) pools can be automatic or manual
> (https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.2/html/Administration_Guide/sect-Virtual_Machine_Pool_Tasks.html)
> "
> In the Pool tab, select one of the following pool types:
> Manual - The administrator is responsible for explicitly returning the
> virtual machine to the pool. The virtual machine reverts to the
> original base image after the administrator returns it to the pool.
> Automatic - When the virtual machine is shut down, it automatically
> reverts to its base image and is returned to the virtual machine pool.
> "
>
> IN RHEV 2.x there was also a third option that was time based and that
> in my opinion was interesting. Donna why it was removed.
>
> In my opinion there is sort of mislead between what is above and the
> introduction of pools inside the guide because it is stated this way:
> (https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.2/html/Administration_Guide/chap-Pools.html)
> "
> Virtual machines in pools are stateless, data is not persistent across
> reboots. Virtual machines in a pool are started when there is a user
> request, and shut down when the user is finished.
> ..."
>
> So if one doesn't go ahead he/she thinks only stateless are allowed.....

That is very interesting. After reading the RHEV docs I had wondered
about this myself - i.e. how does one create/manage a stateful model
where people always return to VMs in the same state they were left? I
thought perhaps you had to detach it from the Pool for this, but haven't
had time to experiment with it yet.

With VMware there is a stateful pool model where the user-to-machine
binding remains in effect, but the machine can be rebooted, powered off,
etc. Is this what's implied by the "Manual" model?

-Bob