[Users] info on chrome and spice

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 10:00:33 UTC 2013

On Nov 18, 2013, at 23:48 , Nicholas Kesick <cybertimber2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > From: r.koch at ovido.at
> > To: gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
> > Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:56:31 +0100
> > CC: users at ovirt.org
> > Subject: Re: [Users] info on chrome and spice
> >

> > On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 10:59 +0100, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I have an all-in-one installation based on Fedora 18 and oVirt stable repo.
> > >
> > > oVirt is 3.2.3-1.fc18
> > > Fedora system is updated at 11/11/2013.
> > >
> > > I have both firefox (firefox-25.0-3.fc18.x86_64) and chrome
> > > (google-chrome-stable-30.0.1599.114-1.x86_64 , baseurl of yum from
> > > baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64)
> > >
> > > While I can use spice console with firefox, in chrome the icon is not enabled.
> > > Is there any way to have chrome able to open spice console?
> > > Does it change anything in oVirt 3.3 for chrome on Linux (and/or on WIndows)?
> >

> > In oVirt 3.3 you have serveral options for SPICE:
> > - Native client
> > - Browser plugin (requires Firefox)
> > - SPICE HTML5 browser client (didn't test this option yet)
> >
> > The native client option is working fine for me with Chrome 31 on Fedora
> > 19. It opens console.vv with virt-viewer. Theoretically it should work
> > on Windows as well, but didn't test it yet...
> >
> native client works on Windows if virt-viewer is installed on Windows.

it does work on Mac OS X as well, with this wrapper [1]

> Gianluca, with oVirt 3.3 you can use Native or Spice HTML5 with Chrome, as well as noVNC if you choose to go that route.

I wouldn't really encourage spice_html5 for a real work yet, it's indeed experimental with quite a few glitches (though if it works for you it does perform really well)

worth a note is that Frantisek Kobzik is working on a support for both displays at the same time in 3.4, effectively allowing you to use SPICE console most of the times for performance, but when you're somewhere else you can still open a noVNC from almost any browser (or use native vnc client on any possible platform one can have)

Thanks,
michal

[1] https://github.com/brianwcook/launchvv