[Users] Fedora 20

Markus Stockhausen stockhausen at collogia.de
Sun Nov 24 16:28:54 UTC 2013

The feeling is not related to a current comparison but to past
situations where a new linux kernel provided some nice feature
to squeeze more performance out of the existing infrastructure.
We have a lot of SAP test/demo systems that are usually >100GB.
Moving data around or (un)loading databases can be quite a
headache. Especially with respect to other running systems.
Some examples that were helpful in our environment:

- bufferbloat fighting patches (3.6 and on)

- Using SMBv2 client in the kernel (since 3.7).  E.g. direct
access to a windows share on the hypervisor

- perf patches for better bottleneck analysis

Going with Ovirt and the possibility to do more things online
(relocating VMs and their disks) may reduce the requirement
for the newest kernel version.

So starting with Fedora 19 on the nodes and a more stable CentOS
on the engine could be a good tradeoff. What do you think?

Markus