[Users] How to backup thin provisioned qcow2 disks?

Ernest Beinrohr Ernest.Beinrohr at axonpro.sk
Mon Nov 25 10:20:08 UTC 2013

Hi, I'm currently looking for ways to backup my disks.
Live storage migration converted my disks from
preallocated to thin provisioning. Preallocated disk
backups are working from a simple dd from a snapshot,
but the thin qcow2 disks are a problem. I seems it uses
multiple logical volumes (3 in my case). Also they
are combined MUCH bigger than the preallocated:
8GB raw vs thin: 31 GB - 1 snapshot.

So I have two questions:
- how would you backup these thin disks?
- is it possible to convert thin to preallocated and
    discard the snapshots

thanks

--
Ernest Beinrohr, AXON PRO