[Users] ovirt 3.3.1 all VMs boot on the same host?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 13:40:03 UTC 2013

Hello,
I have a cluster of 2 hosts with f19 and 3.3.1 as delivered in ovirt
stable repo.
Running kernel is 3.11.8-200.fc19.x86_64
$ rpm -q ksm libvirt qemu-kvm vdsm
package ksm is not installed
libvirt-1.0.5.7-1.fc19.x86_64
qemu-kvm-1.4.2-13.fc19.x86_64
vdsm-4.13.0-11.fc19.x86_64
Engine is another server, always with f19 and ovirt stable 3.3.1.
I have a GlusterFS DC with a cluster composed by these two hosts.
They are HP blades BL685c G1 with 64Gb of ram each and 4xOpteron CPUs,
seen by oVirt as "AMD Opteron G2" in datacenter.

I have 3 VMs in this cluster: 2 x CentOS 6.4 and 1 x CentOS 5.10.
After I put all in maintenance and then start up. I have both hosts up
and running.
I power on in sequence the 3 VMs and they start all on the same host
(the one that is not the elected SPM).
Should it be some sort of load balancing or is this situation correct/expected?
I notice ksm is not installed: could it be this one the reason in any
way? Or culd it be useful anyway to install it (I thought it was a
dependency for oVirt...)
$ rpm -qa|grep ksm
[g.cecchi ]$

BTW: if I run a live migration of CentOS 5.10 VM to the other host it
works ok without problem, so the host seems ok to me.
All 3 VMs are configured as servers and as "run on any host in cluster"
Thanks in advance,
Gianluca