[Users] Building ovirt-guest-agent is destroying my VM!

Blaster Blaster at 556nato.com
Mon Nov 25 17:49:54 UTC 2013

So this has happened twice now....Running Windows 7/64 in a VM.

I git cloned the ovirt windows agent and installed the 3 Python
applications as instructed in the README.

When I run the win-guest-agent-build-exe.bat file to create the exe, it
gets to the line of:
adding python27.dll as a resource to virtguestservices.exe.

Then the cmd.exe window just hangs.  It can not be killed, nor can any
other window.

The system will not shutdown, either from the Windows side or the VM
side.  I had to power off from the GUI.

The first time this happened, the VM hung and became non-responsive.
When I tried to reboot the physical machine, the physical machine would
not reboot either.  Had to hit the reset button to get it back.

The second time this happened, ovirt was able to power off successfully,
I decided to reboot the physical machine again, and again the physical
machine hung shutting down and had to physically reset.

Both times when I tried to start the Windows 7 VM again, ovirt refused
to start it.  I get the message
Failed to run VM Win7-01 (User: admin at internal).

So off to restore the VM for a second time....

Any explanation how Python is able to destroy a VM like that?