[Users] Building ovirt-guest-agent is destroying my VM!

Vinzenz Feenstra vfeenstr at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 11:40:02 UTC 2013

On 11/25/2013 06:49 PM, Blaster wrote:
> So this has happened twice now....Running Windows 7/64 in a VM.
>
> I git cloned the ovirt windows agent and installed the 3 Python
> applications as instructed in the README.
>
> When I run the win-guest-agent-build-exe.bat file to create the exe,
> it gets to the line of:
> adding python27.dll as a resource to virtguestservices.exe.
>
> Then the cmd.exe window just hangs.  It can not be killed, nor can any
> other window.
>
> The system will not shutdown, either from the Windows side or the VM
> side.  I had to power off from the GUI.
>
> The first time this happened, the VM hung and became non-responsive.
> When I tried to reboot the physical machine, the physical machine
> would not reboot either.  Had to hit the reset button to get it back.
>
> The second time this happened, ovirt was able to power off
> successfully, I decided to reboot the physical machine again, and
> again the physical machine hung shutting down and had to physically reset.
>
> Both times when I tried to start the Windows 7 VM again, ovirt refused
> to start it.  I get the message
> Failed to run VM Win7-01 (User: admin at internal).
>
> So off to restore the VM for a second time....
>
> Any explanation how Python is able to destroy a VM like that?
Honestly this does not sound like an issue to me which is caused by
Python or the build of the guest agent
I would start looking into the logs for the Host.

Please check the logs in /var/log/libvirt/qemu for the corresponding VM
log  (Win7-01)
Also check your logs if you find any hints in /var/log/vdsm/libvirtd.log
and /var/log/vdsm/vdsm.log

Regards,

Vinzenz Feenstra | Senior Software Engineer
RedHat Engineering Virtualization R & D
Phone: +420 532 294 625
IRC: vfeenstr or evilissimo

See how it works at redhat.com