[Users] RFE/Bug? Cloud-Init in oVirt 3.3.1 / IPv6 Support

Omer Frenkel ofrenkel at redhat.com
Thu Nov 28 10:35:58 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

yes, please open a bug

> 2. There is no button for "static" in the GUI, therefore the option
> get's not passed, "none" may be the default option.
> In this case, it would be cool to have a checkbox for "static".
> --> RFE

i think it should really look like the nic setting for hosts,
a selection between none/dhcp/static and allow setting ips only for static.
i guess start on boot should be available for all.

> I didn't test this from the API yet, but I hope there is an option
> to set the networking to static from there?

yes in rest you can set it:

<action>
  <vm>
    <initialization>
      <cloud_init>
        <network>
          <nics>
            <nic>
              <name>eth0</name>
              <boot_protocol>STATIC</boot_protocol>
              <network>
                <ip address="192.168.2.11" netmask="255.255.0.0" gateway="192.168.2.1" />
              </network>
              <on_boot>true</on_boot>
            </nic>
          </nics>
        </network>
      </cloud_init>
    </initialization>
  </vm>
</action>

> What do you think? Bug or RFE? Can this be fixed in 3.3.1.1 maybe (fix
> should be small, without looking into the code)?
>
> I can't always do full upgrades (3.3.2 would be next).
>

> My second topic would be IPv6 Support:
>
> It simply does not exist in Cloud-Init to pass this option to the
> guest, I read this old thread:
>
> http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/engine-devel/2013-June/004893.html
>
> My Question: Are there any plans to improve this?
>
> I will work around it maybe through custom parsing and file injecting
> the IPv6 data through Cloud-Init, but would prefer to pass this
> information simply to Cloud-Init.

going forward we would like to allow user scripts with cloud init so you could do it with that.