[Users] backups

Blaster Blaster at 556nato.com
Sat Nov 30 20:40:41 UTC 2013

On 11/27/2013 11:27 AM, Juan Pablo Lorier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just curious, is it really the porpoise of the snapshot to backup both
> the vm and the application data? I think snapshot is appropriate to
> backup the vm and the you should have your regular backup for the app,
> as a database backup that can be done online. In this scenario you take
> a backup of the vm when something changes (updates, new software,
> configs, etc) and not all the time and do regular backups of the db as
> it's the information that changes all the time.
> I said this because I'm curious about the benefits of doing backups the
> way it's been posted.
> Regards,

Contrary to my other post, which was more educational than practical,
yes, you generally would not back up app data via a hypervisor
snapshot.  Generally you would only backup the OS disk and perhaps the
application binaries.  This would be for quick restore of the OS and
app, so you don't have to spend hours reconfiguring your OS.
(especially Windows based OSes....)

I also do an IN OS backup as well, for individual file restores in the
instances you accidentally destroy something in /etc for example.