[Users] VMs and volumes disappearing

Martijn Grendelman martijn.grendelman at isaac.nl
Tue Oct 1 11:59:27 UTC 2013

Hello Yair,

Thank you for your answers, but I still have some questions left ;-)

>> I find engine.log somewhat hard to read, to be honest, and documentation
>> is hard to find, but I think I found some clues.
>
> Hi,
> I understand what you're saying about engine.log, when I asked for
> it, it was because I'm one of the maintainers of ovirt engine, so I
> thought I could give you a hand here, especially after reading your
> email and getting a sense that I saw a similar issue in the past.

If you want, I can send you my log. I wasn't sure if that's what you meant.

I just had the same problem again.
- Stopped oVirt engine
- Checked the 'async_tasks' table. It was empty!
- Started oVirt engine
- Same set of imported VMs as last time deleted!

I thought that lingering records from the 'async_tasks' table were to
blame, but apparently, that's not the case.

Can you tell me what I need to check/do/modify/update/delete before
restarting oVirt that will keep my VMs from being deleted? (Please see
below for a note on upgrading like you suggested)

>> I think I have an idea about what happended now.
>>
>> The 2 disappeared VMs have been imported into oVirt using virt-v2v. The
>> 3rd one that's now missing a disk volume was not, but I have been
>> playing with storage migration in the past.
>
> Then this is the reason, other users have complained about it at users at ovirt.org

I have read the thread about disappearing VMs from August and indeed it
sounds like this might me the same problem.

> Upgrade I just talked with Ofer (CC'ed), our release engineer, and he
> said that all packages should be 3.3.0-4 (notice ovirt-engine is
> not) I hope this helps you out,

There are no updates, at least Yum doesn't give me any. I enabled the
beta channel just now, but that doesn't make a difference. 3.3.0-1 is
the latest version. What am I missing?

martijn at ovirt:~> sudo yum list all|grep ovirt-engine.noarch
ovirt-engine.noarch             3.3.0-1.el6                @ovirt-beta

Best regards,
Martijn Grendelman