[Users] Gluster network info

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Thu Oct 3 09:44:14 UTC 2013

Hi Gianluca,

<snip>

On 10/02/2013 08:52 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 09/28/2013 08:33 PM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I remember in the past that could be a problem to have high usage of
>> ovirtmgmt network because engine sometimes detects hosts as
>> unresponsive.
>> And it should this the reason about bandwith limitation on vm
>> migration, until dedicated network for it has been released.

We have a dedicated migration network in oVirt 3.3, which means all the
migration network is using a dedicated network and not the management
network.
The caveat is that we still did not add support for capping it's bandwidth.
The problem you detailed above can be bypassed by configuring the
migration network on a dedicated interface.

>> SO the question is : what about ovirtmgmt network for gluster
>> replication when gluster domain is provided by ovirt nodes?
>> I suppose it could be a problem too, couldn't it?

yes that is correct, using ovirtmgmt for non management traffic is not a
good idea.

>> In case I have a dedicated network for gluster for the nodes, how can
>> i configure it?

Generally there two ways to go about this:

1. add a new network role 'gluster replication' and then adjust the
engine code to pass the network with this role as parameter to the
replication verb in VDSM.

2. in the replication verb in the UI let the user choose which network
to use for the replication.

I am not familiar with the replication verb so I might be missing
something but otherwise I think that solution 2 is more simple and less
invasive then requiring a new network role.