[Users] ovirt 3.3 and ilo2 for power fencing?

René Koch (ovido) r.koch at ovido.at
Fri Oct 4 08:52:10 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-03 at 23:40 +0200, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
>

> > fenceNode should be sought on the fencing host (f18ovn01) not the
> > victim. do you have any other host in the datacenter? Maybe your
> > vdsm.log has been log-rotated? Could you look at your engine.log for
> > hints?
>
> Nodes and engine configured right today.
> I can send full logs for engine and vdsm hosts as they have not been rotated yet

> After clicking OK in the window when you configure power mgmt.
> Donna about eventual need for fenging, but it could be as I'm having
> right now problems in activating the storage domain
> (see the other thread)
>

> > Not at all. "test" ought to be harmless, and never cause an
> > unintentional reboot.
>
> Ok for "test" phase inside the configuration window.
> But when then you want to confirm the change and click on "ok" button?
> Anything expected?

Hosts only get fenced when they aren't reachable, not during tests and
also not if you confirm changes to power management settings - or at
least I've never seen an issue with this.

You can test fence_ilo2 from command line (if you try a reboot from
command line I suggest to set the host into maintenance mode in oVirt as
otherwise oVirt tries to fence the host too and ILO/IPMI interfaces
sometimes show strange behavior when resetting it twice):
# /usr/sbin/fence_ilo2 --help

If ilo fencing isn't working as expected (e.g. host gets powered off
instead of rebooted even if action is set to reboot you could try if
fence_ipmilan does the trick. You could also check if you're using the
latest BIOS version...

Regards,
René