[Users] ovirt 3.3 and ilo2 for power fencing?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 09:30:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM, René Koch (ovido)  wrote:

> Hosts only get fenced when they aren't reachable, not during tests and
> also not if you confirm changes to power management settings - or at
> least I've never seen an issue with this.

Ok. Thanks for clarifying this

> You can test fence_ilo2 from command line (if you try a reboot from
> command line I suggest to set the host into maintenance mode in oVirt as
> otherwise oVirt tries to fence the host too and ILO/IPMI interfaces
> sometimes show strange behavior when resetting it twice):
> # /usr/sbin/fence_ilo2 --help

These same blades was configured in the past with RHCS and RHEL 5.x
I've already used fence_ilo2, fence_drac5 and fence_ipmilan in both
RHEL/CentOS 5.x and 6.y
I remember in the past the logic changed regarding fencing
So sometimes there was this workflow depending on agent and its
actions' support:
poweroff
status
poweron

And sometimes there were problems in timing responses so that the node
remained in power off state.
I also opened a bug for this with an improved suggestion, I don't
remeber right now some years ago for the python script
So the question is about how gui settings translates into fence_ilo2
generated command so that I can reproduce it

Thanks for the suggestion about putting host into maintenance

> If ilo fencing isn't working as expected (e.g. host gets powered off
> instead of rebooted even if action is set to reboot you could try if
> fence_ipmilan does the trick. You could also check if you're using the
> latest BIOS version...

Eventually I'll try it.
Blades bios is the latest available as they don't receive updates any more.
For iLO2 fw I think they are on 2.x version even if the better release
probabbly was around 1.80
I'll check also this

Gianluca