[Users] Quota for VMs created from templates

Gilad Chaplik gchaplik at redhat.com
Sun Oct 6 09:30:54 UTC 2013

Einav, Thanks for the questions, see inline.

> @Gilad:
>
> 1. Does the 'VmCreator' Role contain the 'consume-quota' action? so when
> granting "VmCreator"
> on Data Center "DC1" to user "User1", "User1" can automatically consume any
> quota defined
> in "DC1" (including, for example, "TemplateQuota", in Mitja's case)?

No, only SuperUser and DataCenterAdmin roles contains consume_quota action.

> 2. Related to both your previous reply and my previous reply: Can a user
> associate a CPU/RAM
> Quota to a VM that he is now *creating*, even if he doesn't have
> consume-quota permissions
> on that CPU/RAM Quota? In Mitja's case, he attempted to create a VM
> associated with both
> "TemplateQuota" and "UserQuota", while the user (maybe - depends on answer to
> 1) didn't
> have permission to consume "TemplateQuota", and the VM creation succeeded. Is
> that OK?

Yes, you should be able to assign a VM to a CPU/RAM quota, without
being a consumer of that quota, the check is done only when running the VM (when the resources are consumed).

There is a difference between User and Admin Portal: in User portal quota list is being
populated by quota that can be consumed by the user, so leaving the quota unchanged will selected an appropriate
quota; also while creating a VM, disk's quota is set in 'Resource Allocation' tab (see image).

@Mitja,

Please check which quota(s) are assigned to VM while consuming the resources,
and who is the user performing the task.