[Users] [3.3] Rebooted node losing its network setup

Fabian Deutsch fabiand at redhat.com
Thu Oct 10 10:17:11 UTC 2013

Hey Nicolas,

Am Donnerstag, den 10.10.2013, 11:50 +0200 schrieb Nicolas Ecarnot:
> After a successful 3.1 setup, I'm starting a completely new 3.3 environment.
>
> I installed a CentOS 6.4 for the manager with a 3.3 oVirt engine.
> For the nodes, on Dell M620 blades, I installed
> ovirt-node-iso-3.0.1-1.0.2.vdsm.el6.iso.
>
> I setup a blade like this :
> - first two interfaces bonded + bridge dedicated to ovirt managment network
>
> (I've setup this exaclty same env. on my previous oVirt 3.1 setup and it
> is working fine)
>
> Once I've configured that correctly on 3 nodes, I reboot (or stonith)
> the first node, to prove this is stable.
> I get various effects :
> - sometimes the bonding dedicated to the iscsi lan is lost (no more
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond1 neither ifcfg-ovirtiscsi files)
> - sometimes the bonding dedicated to the ovirtmgmt part is lost or
> changed : the bonding mode I have set to 1 (active-backup) is replaced
> by mode 0 (balance-rr) (which leads to other local network issues)

could you provide the log files given in
http://www.ovirt.org/Node_Troubleshooting#Log_Files
so we get more information about what's happening in the background

> - during reboot, I see "bnx2fs" issues : before them, pings to this node
> are OK (mode 1), after them, ping to this node get DUPs (mode 0)
>
> This is very tiresome to see that such a simple thing as bonding and
> bridging are things I keep losing time on.
> Using command line on the node, I'm able to correct everything, but
> nothing is reboot-proof though I don't know what is causing those changes.
>
> I'm sure I tried nothing exotic when first installing the node. I just
> used the TUI and made a very simple bonding with no VLAN.
> Even when trying to concentrate only on the ovirtmgmt bond oVirt can't
> seem to be stable.

Alon,
can you say how vdsm/engine is handling pre-existing bonds and bridges
(aka bonds and bridges created by nodes TUI before the registration)
after the registration?

Greetings
fabian