[Users] Attaching a storage domain

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Fri Oct 11 09:36:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

At present, I have a 3.1 oVirt setup and a new 3.3 other oVirt setup.
Those two setups have no relations, except they are plugged on the same
iSCSI SAN.

I was trying to to the following test :
- on ovirt3.1, create a new storage domain
- put it a VM disk
- shutdown this VM
- desactivate the storage domain
- detach it

- on the ovirt3.3, attach this storage domain as an additionnal one
(obviously, I already have a master domain)
- activate it
- start the VM

But on the first part of this plan, I can't even detach it because
"Cannot detach Storage Domain while VMs/Templates reside on it.
-Please remove all objects and try again."

Well, OK.

In fact, let's forgot the speach above and just read this :
I'm trying to understand what I can do with my oVirt LUNs when I get a
complete serious crash (datacenter on fire) and I just have the SAN.
I was hoping I could import the storage domains into another oVirt
setup. Maybe I should store data another way?

I'm sure you know the best practices - the oVirt way.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot