[Users] Resizing disks destroys contents

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Fri Oct 11 22:41:00 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 12:27:02AM +0330, Mohsen Saeedi wrote:
>    I have same problem too.   I have one node as ovirt engine and as
>    hypervisor too. I successfully upgrade our engine from 3.1 to 3.2 and then
>    from 3.2 to 3.3 and everything is ok.
>    then i upgrade our cluster version to 3.3 and then our datacenter to 3.3.
>    I increase 1GB on virtual machine with 20GB thin disk  and I receive
>    success message on event and our disk increase to 21GB but after host
>    reboot, i saw message that contains no bootable disk is available!!!
>     then i try to install new os on that disk (Centos 6.4 minimal) and
>    anaconda show the error on screen : No usable disks have found. I think
>    disk corrupt after resizing.
>    it was test VM but it's very if occur for real and functional VMs.

Yes, this is indeed a bad bad bug. It was inadvertantly fixed on the
master branch a while ago. Yesterday, we've backported the fix to
3.3.0.1

    http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2013-October/017018.html

Please avoid trying ovirt-3.3.0's new disk resize feature on file-based storage,
unless you upgrade to vdsm vdsm-4.12.1-4 first.

Dan.