[Users] Unable to install oVirt Node 3.0.1: Exception: RunTimeError('Failed to partition/format')

Edgars M. edgars.mazurs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 08:41:35 UTC 2013

Hi Fabian

I am using DELL R805 server with PERC 6/i RAID controller and two SAS
disks. PERC 6/i is real hardware RAID controller (although cheap one).
First I created RAID1 and did fast initialisation. (PERC RAID controllers
has this stupid requirement that you need to initialise RAID before you can
use it). After this oVirt Node installation failed every time with "Failed
to partition/format".

Then I destroyed RAID1 and created it again, but this time I did full RAID
initialisation (instead of fast). After that oVirt Node installation went
smooth.

The thing is that I never do full initialisation when I install any OS,
because it is very slow process and can take hours and I never had any
problems with fast initialisation before. But apparently there is some
trick with oVirt Node.

>From documentation:

"Fast initialization writes zeroes to the first 8 MB and to the last 8 MB
of the virtual disk so that initialization occurs in 2–3 seconds. A
progress bar displays next to the selected virtual disk as it initializes."

Whereas:

"A regular (meaning full) initialization permanently destroys any data that
already exists."

Hope that helps.

Edgars