[Users] ovirt-guest-agent issue/troubleshooting

Karli Sjöberg Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se
Tue Oct 29 13:37:56 UTC 2013

tis 2013-10-29 klockan 14:30 +0100 skrev René Koch (ovido):

On Tue, 2013-10-29 at 13:23 +0000, Karli Sjöberg wrote:
> tis 2013-10-29 klockan 14:15 +0100 skrev René Koch (ovido):
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some issues with ovirt-guest-agent as no information is reported
> > from guest-agent to oVirt webadmin anymore.
> > I'm unsure when I lost the information - I know for sure it worked last
> > month when I tested the guest agent packages for Debian and Ubuntu.
> >
> > Status now is that I don't receive any data.
> > I have the following test vms:
> > * RHEL 6 with rhevm-guest-agent 1.0.7 (RHEV repository)
> > * RHEL 6 with ovirt-guest-agent 1.0.8 (EPEL)
> > * openSUSE 12.3 with ovirt-guest-agent 1.0.8.1 (self compiled)
> >
> > Both RHEL server reported information (memory, ip-address,...)
> > previously.
> > The only changes which could broke the guest agent communication are
> > updates on the CentOS host and the engine.
> >
> > Can you give me some hints how to troubleshoot the guest agent? I can't
> > find any information (or don't know the right pattern to search for) in
> > vdsm.log and engine.log. Guest agent is running in the vms, but doesn't
> > log anything except start and stop of the service (can I change the
> > handler_logfile args for more debugging and if yes how?):
> >
> > # tail /var/log/ovirt-guest-agent/ovirt-guest-agent.log
> > MainThread::INFO::2013-10-29
> > 11:00:15,340::ovirt-guest-agent::37::root::Starting oVirt guest agent
> >
> > Btw, I'm running oVirt 3.2.3...
>
> This has happened for me in the past and putting the Host in
> maintenance and then restarting the vdsmd solved it.
>
> /Karli

Thanks a lot Karli - restarting vdsmd did the trick!

Well, even a broken clock can be right. Even twice a day:)

@developers
Is this something you have noticed as well? I mean, that sometimes vdsmd needs this manual kick? Where do you start debugging when this issue occurs, restarting the daemon once in a while is just the quickfix, I´d like to solve it once and for all.

--

Med Vänliga Hälsningar
Karli Sjöberg
karli.sjoberg at slu.se<mailto:karli.sjoberg at adm.slu.se>