[Users] oVirt Updates - Special KVM Forum/oVirt edition

Vinzenz Feenstra vfeenstr at redhat.com
Wed Oct 30 11:56:00 UTC 2013

On 10/28/2013 04:19 PM, René Koch (ovido) wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-10-27 at 23:31 +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:
>> A great week at linuxcon/cloudopen/kvmforum/ovirt conference at
>> Edinburgh, and some other nice feedback on oVirt, meriting a special
>> edition of this update.
>> Feel free to chime in with your feedback as well.
> Thanks a lot for the KVM forum special newsletter.
>
>> It is sometimes hard to remember we only released oVirt 3.0 last year,
>> and that it takes time to get traction.
>> For example, see slide 3 in the presentation i gave on oVirt Updates[1]
>> to see the clear trend in adoption (via total users mailing list addresses).
>>
> My favorite slide is #12 (amongst others) - thanks Itamar :)
>

>> Similarly, in Livnat's oVirt-intro session at CloudOpen, with ~75 people
>> in the room, almost all raised their hand on her question "who knows/has
>> oVirt".
>>
>> We had a plethora of topics (same link as [1]), but i wanted to highlight:
>>
>> SUSE support
>> During Livnat's talk, a question was raised wrt SUSE support.
>> Asking for more details, we got ~"I'm running oVirt in testing and RHEV
>> in production. with 200 SUSE 10/11 servers. I just want the guest-agent
>> to have their ip address in the gui".
>> So first of all, good to know SUSE runs as a guest without issues.
>  From my experience so far there's no recent distribution which isn't
> running without issues on oVirt. I tested SLES, openSUSE, CentOS, RHEL,
> Fedora, Linux Mint, Debian, Ubuntu and all worked fine.
> Some older distributions like the one in the attached screenshot are
> running fine with IDE and rtl8139 emulated disks/nics...
>

>> Also, the guest-agent itself is just a python script that should just
>> work. Just some packaging is required, so we're looking to revamp this
>> in build.opensuse.org, and hope some SUSE users will help us with
>> closing and testing this one.
> I can help creating packages for SLES and openSUSE on build.opensuse.org
> for latest guest agent without SSO (and of course test the packages) or
> is Vinzenz Feenstra already working on it as I saw he pushed the sources
> to OBS?
I have been creating first packages now for openSuSE 12.3, 13.1 and Factory:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:evilissimo

It'd be great if you could help me testing them :-) For SLES I will
still have to check what's requirements are. (Environment wise (systemd
present? dependent libraries etc))
I also packaged the latest python-ethtool from upstream

Please let me know if anything is broken so I can address the issue :-)

>> In related SUSE news, I just saw this posted "After looking into oVirt
>> it looks absolutely fantastic. Might look into seeing if I can help with
>> porting this to openSUSE. What kind of work is involved in the porting
>> of the application like this?"
>> (discussion ongoing)
>>
>> on PPC:
>> Leonardo from the Eldorado research center in Brazil gave a lecture on
>> their work to add PPC support to oVirt. Paul Mackerras (KVM PPC
>> developer) from IBM and Alexenader Graf attended and gave a lot of
>> feedback, and potential interest from other PPC vendors, which should be
>> hopefully mostly config level changes.
>>
>> User Stories:
>> Keele university presented their path to oVirt. Always nice to hear how
>> our project is used, and we actually asked them a lot of questions on
>> why/how they use it the way they do. They also did a case study with
>> Dave Neary, which i hope to see more from oVirt community members.
>>
>> Also, always nice to hear: in an irc chat on #ovirt: "I looked at ovirt
>> about 4 months ago and when I came back a few days ago I was blown away
>> at how far it had come! The devs have done an awesome job".
>>
>> All KVM Forum/oVirt sessions slides (and youtube's) should be available
>> here[1]
> Thanks for sharing - will watch some of the presentations.
>
>> Thanks,
>>      Itamar
>>
>> [1] oVirt Updates session by Itamar Heim
>> http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRCSQmAOh7yzgheq-emy1xA

Regards,

Vinzenz Feenstra | Senior Software Engineer
RedHat Engineering Virtualization R & D
Phone: +420 532 294 625
IRC: vfeenstr or evilissimo

See how it works at redhat.com