[Users] so, what do you want next in oVirt?

Deepthi Dharwar deepthi at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Sep 2 10:10:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 09/02/2013 01:12 PM, Karli Sjöberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to see a more advanced type of Power-Saving Cluster policy,
> where an empty Host gets put into a sleep-mode, so that it draws as
> little power as possible and can be awoken by engine when VM's starts to
> use more resources.
>
> A typical scenario would be that all VM's are spread evenly over Hosts
> during day-time, when customers are actively using their VM's. But then
> during off-hours, VM's gets clumped up into maybe one or two Hosts, and
> the other Hosts can be put to sleep to save energy, and then woken up in
> the morning again.

I agree. Current power-saving policy doesn't do much other than
consolidating VMs. Having a tunable based on which X/Y idle hosts in the
cluster could be powered-off, where Y-X hosts are ON just for backup. I
would love to see that in the coming days in oVirt.

It would also benefit if there is some kind of power-metering that is
flagged in the GUI. How much power each system is consuming and over-all
cluster is consuming.
This would be a real handy number to access power consumption of the
systems.

Regards,
Deepthi