[Users] so, what do you want next in oVirt?

NOC noc at nieuwland.nl
Mon Sep 2 14:29:38 UTC 2013

On 08/21/2013 12:11 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 08/21/2013 02:40 AM, Joop van de Wege wrote:
>>
>> What I would like to see in the ! next version is pxe boot of the nodes.
>> Probably not easy to achieve because of dependency on dhcp.
>
> Hi Joop,
>
> can you please give a bit more information on the use case / how you
> envision this?
>
> current thinking around bare metal provisioning of hosts is to extend
> the functionality around the foreman provider for this, but you may
> have other suggestions?

I think Joop means to be able to add hosts (nodes) to a cluster by
adding their MAC address to the dhcp list for PXE boot into ovirt-node
and thus join the cluster. This would make it easy to add new physical
nodes without any spinning disks or other local storage requirements.

I suppose this may not be easy with complex network connections (bonds
on mgmt network, mgmt network on a tagged vlan, etc), but it should be
possible if the management network interface is plain and physical.

/Simon

PS, Perhaps Joop can confirm this idea, we've talked about it IRL.