[Users] Problems with RHEL 5 x86_64 VMs in oVirt 3.3

Raul José Cheleguini raul.cheleguini at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 15:31:35 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Please, I'm performing tests with oVirt 3.3 and it has been working really
well, except the fact that the installation of RHEL 5 VMs is not happening,
not sure why. Does anybody else is experiencing the same issue? Details:

Reproducible steps:

1) Start the VM via 'Run once" option.
2) Insert the boot parameters, for instance: linux text
3) vmlinuz and initrd are loaded without errors.
4) Black screen with a blinking cursor.
5) Anaconda never come up, Kernel is not loaded apparently.

The same behavior occurs with the following versions:

RHEL 5.9 x86_64
RHEL 5.8 x86_64
RHEL 5.7 x86_64

VM definitions:

Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.x x64
Optimized for: Server

If I simple change to a RHEL 5.9 32Bits ISO (Even with the 'Operating
System' field defined to work for x64), I am able to carry on with the VM
installation and everything goes ok.

Fedora 18 and 19 for x84_64 works well, also RHEL 6 builds for x86_64.

Packages in use:

ovirt-engine-3.3.0-1.fc19.noarch
qemu-1.4.2-7.fc19.x86_64
qemu-kvm-1.4.2-7.fc19.x86_64
libvirt-1.0.5.5-1.fc19.x86_64

Details and data collected:

VM name: tests-rhel5-64bits
engine.log
vdsm.log
qemu process arguments
libvirt relevant logs

Last test timestamp: 2013-Sep-05, 12:09
VM tests-rhel5-64bits started on Host dell-pe2950-1

Should I file a bug?
Any help will be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Raul.