[Users] so, what do you want next in oVirt?

noc noc at nieuwland.nl
Fri Sep 6 09:28:09 UTC 2013

On 6-9-2013 10:12, Itamar Heim wrote:

>>> we started adding foreman integration in 3.3:
>>> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/ForemanIntegration
>>>
>>> adding ohad and oved for their thoughts on this.

>> This isn't about provisioning with Foreman. Its about having the compute
>> nodes NOT having any spinning disks. So the only way to start a node is
>> to pxeboot it and then let it (re)connect with the engine. Then it will
>> be identified by engine as either a new node or a reconnecting node and
>> it will get its configuration from the engine. For reference: thats how
>> VirtualIron works. It has a managment network, just like ovirt, and on
>> that it runs a tftp and dhcp server. Nodes are plugged into the
>> managment network, without disk, and then pxe booted after which they
>> appear in the webui as new unconfigured nodes. You then can set various
>> settings and upon rebooting the nodes will recieve these settings
>> because it is recognised by its mac address. The advantage of this
>> construct is that you can place a new server into a rack, cable it,
>> power on and go back to you office where you'll find the new node
>> waiting to be configured. No messing around with CDs to install an OS,
>> not being in the datacenter for hours on end, just in and out.
>>
>> Yes, disks are cheap but they brake down, need maintenance, means
>> downtime and in general more admin time then when you don't have them. (
>> its a shame to have a raid1 of 2 1Tb disk just to install an OS of less
>> then 10G)
>
> just wondering, how do they prevent a rogue node/guest from
> masquerading as such a host, getting access/secrets/VMs to be launched
> on such an untrusted node (they could easily report a different mac
> address if the layer 2 isn't hardened against that)?

They would need physical access to your rack which ofcourse is locked,
you would need to powerdown/up which would trigger an alert, switch port
down/up would trigger an alert, so probably you're notified that
something not quite right is happening.  I haven't gone through the
source to see if there is more then just the mac address check.

> other than that, yes. we actually used to have this via the
> AutoApprovePatterns config option, which would have the engine approve
> a pending node as it registers (I admit i don't think anyone used this
> last several years, and it may be totally broken by now).
>
> please note this doesn't solve the need for a disk, just the
> auto-registration part (if it still works)
What I would like is to have the ovirt Node pxe booting and getting its
config from engine or autoregister. I know there is a script which
converts the iso into a huge pxeboot kernel but don't know how to solve
or if its solved the config part.

@karli:
If you run your cluster in Memory Optimization=None then you won't need
swap. Have been doing that for years and haven't had a single problem
attributed to that. I just would like to have the choice, pxe boot the
node and know that you don't have swap. Run with disks if you really
need overprovisioning.

Regards,

Joop