[Users] Disable MOTD on shell login

Michael Pasternak mpastern at redhat.com
Tue Sep 10 15:43:02 UTC 2013

Hi Christian,

On 09/10/2013 06:18 PM, Christian Hernandez wrote:
> If I may interject....
>
> Disabling the MOTD makes it easier to script...let's say if I want to get a list of VMs' snapshots and out them in a for loop...I would have to write the output of the
> rhevm-shell to a file; parse that file (oh BTW there are ^[[H and ^[[2 in that file...just to make things more interesteing); then run it through my loop - and then pass
> that into rhevm-shell...repeating the process.

you don't have to write entire output of the shell to the file,
all shell commands supports output redirection to file/linux utilities
such as grep/etc. [1],

also in "script mode" printed limited MOTD (without welcome message)
if it still doesn't work for you, please file RFE (though i'm not sure it will make to 3.3)

[1] list snapshots --vm-identifier aaa > snapshots.txt
for more details see http://www.ovirt.org/CLI#Scripting

> Also it doesn't help that rhevm-shell does a "clear" of the screen when it runs (can I turn that off too?)

this is done for create "visual" isolation between bash and ovirt shells,
not sure i understand how it related to the told above, but if you find it
usable, i don't mind.