[Users] Error after disk change virtio -> virtio-scsi

Karli Sjöberg Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se
Thu Sep 12 08:37:01 UTC 2013

tor 2013-09-12 klockan 08:32 +0000 skrev Markus Stockhausen:

> > if I change the type of an existing vm disk from virtio to virtio-scsi
> > in ovirt-engine webadmin the vm does not boot any longer. That
> > means qemu cannot start the VM at all. qemu error message is:
> >
> > "unexpected address type for scsi disk"
>
> This feels like back in 3.1, when you changed type from IDE to VirtIO,
> you needed to remove the disk (not erasing it completely) and then
> add it back to the VM again, else it would throw an error like that.
> Try that and see how it goes.

Thanks. That did the trick. Nice for a newbie to have someone who
remembers "the old days".

That might not have been the best of wordings on my part. We were still using 3.1 just a couple of months ago:) And I know there are plenty of people still using it. Upgrading was a real PITA, so I fully understand why. Glad it helped!

In betwen I tried to convert the disk back
to virtio but that resulted in a similar issue:

"unsupported configuration: virtio only support device address type 'PCI'."

De- and reattaching the disks will be fine for me for me. Maybe it
would be helpful to disable this change option in the web interface
for attached disks.

Markus

--

Med Vänliga Hälsningar