[Users] Ubuntu/Debian ovirt-guest-agent

René Koch (ovido) r.koch at ovido.at
Mon Sep 16 13:37:01 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-09-14 at 14:14 +0800, Zhou Zheng Sheng wrote:
> Hi Jakub,
>
> on 2013/09/10 21:52, Jakub Bittner wrote:
> > Hello Zhou Zheng Sheng,
> >
> > I tested your ovirt-guest-agent PPA which you provided and it works on
> > Ubuntu Precise (12.04) as expected, but I can not install it on Debian
> > Wheezy because that package needs upstart-job from Ubuntu which is not
> > in Debian...
> > Would you be so kind and provide even Debian packages on your PPA? :-)
> > I dont know if sysvinit style file for launching daemon is included by
> > oVirt.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Jakub Bittner
> >

> Two good news.
>
> Developers fixed the bug in latest master, so I updated the
> ovirt-guest-agent package for Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring) to 1.0.8. This
> package should be OK to use with 12.04 (Precise) as well.
>
> I also wrote a Debian specific SysV init script for the guest agent.I
> tested in my Debian Wheezy guest. There is a small problem,
> luanchpad.net does not support hosting Debian packages, and for each
> package per Ubuntu release, it hosts the latest version. So I upload the
> Debian specific oVirt guest agent package as a Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise)
> package.
>
> You can dowanlod them from the following link.
> https://launchpad.net/~zhshzhou/+archive/vdsm-ubuntu/+packages
>
> In all, the ovirt-guest-agent-1.0.8 (Raring) package is for both Ubuntu
> Raring and Precise. The ovirt-guest-agent-1.0.8 (Precise) is for Debian.

Great work - thanks a lot for the Debian and Ubuntu packages!

Just one little thing:
Can you add python-apt to the dependency list (it's missing in the
Debian Wheezy package - didn't test the Ubuntu packages but maybe it's
missing there, too)?

If python-apt isn't installed it's not possible to fetch installed
packages:

MainThread::INFO::2013-09-16
15:23:22,977::ovirt-guest-agent::37::root::Starting oVirt guest agent
MainThread::INFO::2013-09-16
15:23:23,015::GuestAgentLinux2::101::root::Unknown package management.
Application list report is disable

GuestAgentLinux2.py requires this python module to get the package
information.

All other features like system shutdown, nic information, memory,... are
working fine.

Regards,
René