[Users] oVirt 3.3.0-4/F19 - Extending VM disk gives correct size but appears to wipe the drive contents

SULLIVAN, Chris (WGK) Chris.Sullivan at woodgroupkenny.com
Mon Sep 23 19:08:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

I had a number of Windows VMs running in oVirt 3.3 that required their preallocated OS disks to be extended. Each OS disk had a single partition taking up the entire drive. As per http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Online_Virtual_Drive_Resize I shut down all the VMs, extended each OS disk by 10GB (total 25GB) via the web interface, then clicked OK. The tasks appeared to complete successfully and each of the OS disks had the expected real size on the Gluster storage volume.

On startup however none of the VMs would recognize their OS disk as being a bootable device. Checking one of the OS disks via TestDisk (both quick and deep scans) revealed no partitions and the error ‘Partition sector doesn’t have the endmark 0xAA55’. It appears that each OS disk was wiped as part of the extension process although I’m really hoping that this isn’t the case!

Are there any other approaches I could use to attempt to recover the OS disk data or at least verify whether the original disk partitions are recoverable?

Thanks,

Chris

PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT, DON'T PRINT THIS EMAIL UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED TO.

This email and its attachments may contain information which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this e-mail and its attachments from your computer and IT systems. You must not copy, re-transmit, use or disclose (other than to the sender) the existence or contents of this email or its attachments or permit anyone else to do so.