[Users] oVirt 3.3 and Neutron

Mike Kolesnik mkolesni at redhat.com
Sun Sep 29 06:48:49 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi ricardo,
> <snip>
>
> On 09/28/2013 02:47 PM, riccardo.brunetti at dnshosting.it wrote:
> >
> > Dear all.
> > Please, does anybody have some suggestions? I'm getting stuck with this
> > issue.

Hi Ricardo,

Since this feature has been targeted as tech preview, such issues are unfortunately
happening as the current integration didn't count for L3 services yet.

> > Thank you very much
> > Riccardo
> >
> > On 2013-09-27 14:09, Riccardo Brunetti wrote:
> >> Dear oVirt users.
> >> I'm trying to setup oVirt 3.3 using an OpenStack Neutron existing
> >> service as network provider.
> >> It works pretty well: I can use the networks defined in Neutron, import
> >> them and when I launch VM instances from oVirt they get an internal-IP
> >> address from Neutron.
> >> A can also associate a floating IP to the Neutron port and get inbound
> >> connectivity for the virtual machine.
> >> The problem is that if I shutdown the VM (both from inside the VM itself
> >> and from the oVirt WEB GUI) the association port/internal-IP/floating-IP
> >> is lost and when the VM is booted again It will get a different
> >> internal-IP on a different port and I have to manually re-associate the
> >> floating-IP.
> >>

> It seems like we are currently creating a port on VM start and deleting
> the port on VM stop, which causes the behavior you described.

Yes this is the initial design of the feature. Since it didn't account for
L3 services, there is this side effect.

> >> Is there a way to keep the IP addresses when the VM is simply shutted
> >> down and not deleted? This is the behavior when using OpenStack: if I
> >> poweroff the VM, the IPs are kept for the future.
> >>

> There should be a way, would you mind reporting a bug on that?

In addition, do you mind trying to use static IPs inside the VMs and not DHCP
that is provided by neutron, and see if this would help?