[Users] virt-manager migration

Jeremiah Jahn jeremiah at goodinassociates.com
Wed Apr 2 17:38:02 UTC 2014

Quick background:

I have a number of hosts already running SL6.5 and have been using
virt-manager with them for some time.  All of the guests are by-id fiber
channel LUNs. I'm attempting to migrate from virt-manager to oVirt. I'll be
dropping my SAN array and migrating all of the LUNs to a gluster system,
which will be exporting the images to my blades over SCST or LIO.  FC is
what i already have and won't saturate my network as opposed to trying to
use the 1Gbs network cards.  Gluster is being used for redundancy and
geo-replication, but not image hosting to the hosts.

Anyway, long story short. I'm having a difficult time finding documentation
on migrating from virt-manager to oVirt. As well as installing ovirt-nodes
manually. I'd love to find this perfect world where I can just install the
ovirt-node RPMs on my already running Hosts and begin to have them managed
by the oVirt engine. Without and serious downtime.

Any suggestions or pointers to documentation would be great. Even comments
as to making this transition smoother or approaching it differently are
appreciated.

thanks,
-jj-