[Users] set computername and domain when vm is created from template.

Joop jvdwege at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 6 07:47:40 UTC 2014

Jeff Clay <jeffclay at gmail.com> wrote:
>i'm needing to change the computer name to something based on the vm's
>name
>or something and add the system to an active directory domain. this
>needs
>to be done when i create new vm's from a template. any suggestions?
>from
>what i'm reading, cloud-init is what i'm needing to use, i installed
>and
>ran it to check it out. it changed the computer name, but i can't find
>where to specify the computer name value or how to set domain info.
I think cloudinit is used for linux and sysprep is used for windows. There is a new project that has 'ported' cloudinit to windows. Google it.
That still leaves you with the problem to generate unique machine names and other unique stuff per machine. Maybe cloudinit,sysprep will do that automatically? I don't know that.

Joop

--
Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.