[Users] Pseudo Guest Agent for unsupported VM distro

Markus Stockhausen stockhausen at collogia.de
Sun Apr 6 09:19:58 UTC 2014

Hello,

from my understanding it should be possible to provide an absolute
minimalistic guest agent functionality by writing a 5-liner that fills some
basic info into the virto serial device within the guest VM. At least from
what I can read in the source at github or the docs:

https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-guest-agent/tree/master/ovirt-guest-agent
http://www.ovirt.org/images/2/20/Ovirt-guest-agent.pdf

Currently I'm interested to provide the most simple data: IP address
& FQDN for our SLES 11 guests (no guest agent yet). I tried to understand
what I must write into the serial device but there is no change in the VM
overview panel. Different combinations did not provide any success.

Maybe someone can send the syntax for the two required echo commands.

Thanks in advance.

Markus