[Users] It is Ok using OVIRT in production environment ?

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Sun Apr 6 10:55:46 UTC 2014

Hi Marco,

On 04/05/2014 10:38 AM, tristano82 at libero.it wrote:
> actually we have a cluster of RHEV nodes, and other one cluster with vmware
> nodes.
>
> I'm so excited about the works that community are doing with ovirt, but all of
> my sysadmin said me that cannot be used in production, because there is not a
> very stable release and because they need to spend too much time in upgrading
> node and manager.
>
> What do you think?

The decision to choose between RHEV and oVirt (or any other oVirt based
product) is a complex one:
* Do you want/need support?
* Do you need a certified platform for support of your other enterprise
applications (Oracle, SAP, etc)?
* Do you need a commitment to provide long term maintenance of the platform?

If you want or need any of these, then you will not not get them with
oVirt - however, you may get them with oVirt based products (and in
particular with RHEV). And while we work hard to ensure that oVirt works
well for our users, RHEV does have a much more rigorous QE cycle which
results in a more stable release which is supported by Red Hat than what
you get with oVirt.

That said, if you want to try newer features, you will get them 6 months
earlier in oVirt than in RHEV - so I would encourage people to use oVirt
for their test and preprod environments, and consider RHEV for
production, personally.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13