[Users] 2 virtual monitors for Fedora guest

René Koch rkoch at linuxland.at
Tue Apr 8 15:08:26 UTC 2014

Hi Gianluca,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

On 04/08/2014 04:29 PM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM, René Koch <rkoch at linuxland.at> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to virtualize my Fedora 20 workstation on oVirt 3.4 with 2
>> screens.
>

> Probably you already visited this:
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/SPICERelatedFeatures#Multi_Monitor_support_for_Linux_guests_.28Basic.29

No, I didn't - thanks a lot for the link.
As it says it's for oVirt 3.1 it properly should be in oVirt 3.4.

> but from the text is not so clear to me if it is completely doable or
> not in 3.4 ...
> The page refers to Xinerama in need to be configured inside the guest
> I don't know if for QXL device and fedora 20 one has to trick with
> xorg.conf or not putting something like

Hurra - we're in year 2014 and Linux is still not able to configure 2
screens with a simple click. :(

Btw, I don't even find a config file for ServerLayout section in /etc/X11.

> Section "ServerLayout"
>          Identifier   "Layout0"
>          InputDevice  "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>          InputDevice  "Mouse0"    "CorePointer"
>          Option       "Clone"     "off"
>          Option       "Xinerama"  "on"
>          Screen       0           "Screen0"
>          Screen       1           "Screen1" Below "Screen0"
> EndSection
>
> Does your Xorg.0.log gives any useful information regarding the two
> devices and anythng about Xinerama?

In Xorg.0.log I can see the following:
qxl(0): Output Virtual-0 has no monitor section
qxl(0): Output Virtual-1 has no monitor section
qxl(0): Output Virtual-2 has no monitor section
qxl(0): Output Virtual-3 has no monitor section
<snip>
qxl(0): Output Virtual-0 connected
qxl(0): Output Virtual-1 disconnected
qxl(0): Output Virtual-2 disconnected
qxl(0): Output Virtual-3 disconnected

Whatever this mean. No clue about Xorg - should install X on my servers
to get more practice in it :)

Btw,
in Remote Viewer I can choosee View - Display and select Display 2.
In second remote viewer windows I see "Waiting for display 2..." - os it
seems that at least the port is for second display is open on my host.

So I guess oVirt is working fine and the question about the dual screen
mode can be answered best on Spice or Fedora mailing list?

Regards,
René