[ovirt-users] necessity to run yum update ovirt-engine-setup to update ovirt 3.4

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 06:29:12 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Where do you see instructions to update ovirt-engine? You cannot update
it directly because it's version-locked. This is done to ensure that
you do not run a newer engine with an older database - the main task
engine-setup does during an upgrade is updating the database.

> Then I tried the following command and it worked fine: engine-setup

Didn't it tell you that there are updates to Setup and that you should
first 'yum update ovirt-engine-setup'? Probably during your attempts
you did update it.

> Now my ovirt works fine, my cluster is running virtual machines on
> compatibility mode 3.3 although ovirt is now 3.4

Great :-)

> Then I ask : What is the necessity to execute yum update ovirt-engine-setup
> if when I execute only engine-setup this script search for updates ?

engine-setup searches for both updates to the engine and to Setup itself.
If it finds updates to Setup, it tells you to manually update it with yum.
If it finds other updates it asks you to confirm updating and then updates.

> Failed command list execution
> For each command yum update {ovirt-engine-setup, ovirt-engine , ovirt-release
> and ovirt-release-el6 } the result was the same :
>

> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security,
> versionlock
> * base: mirror.globo.com
> * epel: mirror.globo.com
> * extras: mirror.globo.com
> * ovirt-epel: mirror.globo.com
> * updates: mirror.globo.com
> Setting up Update Process
> No Packages marked for Update

Most probably you did update ovirt-engine-setup at some point.
If you want to further debug this, please look at and/or post your yum.log.

Best regards,
--
Didi